Sunday, November 13, 2005

Bhangra... and me!

Preparations are in full swing for Diwali. Yup you heard right.. Diwali may be long gone for the rest of the world but it isn't over yet for UNH. A couple of days ago yours truly was asked to participate in a Bhangra dance. Yours truly very enthusiastically reported for a practice session. It must be noted that I have not done much dancing in the last 10 years except for swinging my arms and legs like a madman at a few dance parties. Much to my dismay I discovered that Bhangra required feats of a greater magnitude.

Firstly, it was expected that I would get my hands and legs to move simultaneously. I tackled this problem very intelligently using the divide and conquer method. I first got my leg movement right. Then I got my hand movement right. Finally, I tried to put both together. "Tried" is right, because I couldn't. When my legs moved, my hands would be paralysed and vice versa. It was downright frustrating.

On top of that, I was expected to get my shoulders to shake. However hard I tried, my shoulders remained rigid and unmoving and only my hips would shake. I guess I've seen too many of those tamil songs. Imagine concentrating hard to move your shoulder muscles and your hips shaking instead. After giving serious thought to the matter, I tried to consciously move my hips to see if my shoulders would move but they didn't. More frustration.

After the one and a half hour practice session, I was offered feedback from several members of the audience(participants in other dances). Comments ranged from "It would look as if we were short of people, if the compere had to step on stage to perform" to "Perhaps you would be more suited to a break dance or a tamil folk dance."

I sat pondering over the hidden comments for some time and then decided to gracefully withdraw from the dance and stick to compering, administrative tasks and a skit. The sigh of relief that emanated from the gathering could probably have been heard as far as India.

All's well that ends well.. :-)

19 comments:

Sayesha said...

Me first!!

That was hilarious! :D

Wish you were dancing though... you'd surely post photos? :)

Leon said...

Thanks.. :-)

I WOULD post pics.. of me in a *ahem* dashing black suit.. but not any of me dancing.. :p

PuNeEt said...

Hi Thanks for dropping by my Blog...

too hillarious...u almost taught people dance bhangra...

take care

Cheers

Harish Suryanarayana said...

Well macchaan .... you must experience stuff like this .... guess what , there was this mono acting competition and i participated just for kicks and it was brilliant .... the experience was worth all the preparation put in ....

Camphor said...

Well you tried. :)
And an inerestign blog came out of it too.. so it did end well.
So you compere? *pictures bangra-ready compere leaping into the dance*

Shreyansh said...

Bhangra is an easy/tough dance form depending on you. Either you can do Bhangra or you cant . There is nothing in between. You might end up changing bulbs and patting dogs if not admired.
But I still think you should still give it a try . May be alone in your room. :)

Btw , you have a nice blog here.
Will be here again.

Leon said...

[Puneet] Thanks..

[Harish] True.. I'm not complaining.. And hey, good to hear about the mono acting competition.. way to go.. :-)

[Camphor] Indeed I did.. gave quite a few people a scare.. hehe.. And yes.. I compere.. :-)

[Shreyansh] Thank you.. Changing bulbs and patting dogs is not really my kinda thing.. :D

Anonymous said...

Should've been there to see you do that something you call 'Bhangra'

Leon said...

haha.. both you and mad should've been there.. and btw.. remember the earthquake causing step mad does? :D

Arun R said...

Ha ha ha..... very well written, hilarious one!!!

Leon said...

Hey.. thanks..

silverine said...

I read this sometime back but had no time to comment. But I was cracking up thinking of Tamil man doing the Bhangra ha ha. What do we see next? Gharbha? ROFL :))

Leon said...

You can crack up all you want.. But this tamil man will one day dance both Bhangra and Gharbha.. ;-)

silverine said...

@leon: Yeah, when hell freezes over :))

Leon said...

Tsk.. Tsk.. Didn't you read what I had to say to camphor about hell freezing over in http://leon-cyril.blogspot.com/2005/11/title-of-my-blog.html ? :p

Camphor said...

What's with people constanly going on about hell freezing over? *drumrolls* I am now switching to "heaven burns dry" :D

Leon said...

Haha.. talk about being original.. way to go.. :-)

Ahmad Raza said...

Good article. I definitely appreciate this site. Keep it up! zzzoomer

Smartphonelogs said...

amazing stuff. your content is so great and informative.


Smartphonelogs
cara menyadap Hp android
download Smartphonelogs