Thursday, December 22, 2005

Yuletide...

Mary's boy child Jesus Christ,
was born on Christmas Day,
And Man will live for ever more,
because of Christmas Day!

To say that I'm not a very religious person would be an understatement. In fact, if not for my Mom who has made my habit of going to Church every Sunday a regimen after much gentle coaxing in the form of ear-pulling, I might almost be an agnost. For eleven months of the year that is. Then the Christmas season comes around and it err.. does things to me. Things that my Mom would have never imagined possible. I clean up my room. I don't have as much of a problem getting up in the morning. I smile a lot more than I usually do. I greet people I've never met... and the list goes on.

Of all the fond memories that Christmas brings to my mind, decorations are the most striking. Every year my sis and I ask Dad for money to buy decorations. We normally get what we want. After all Christmas decorations are a far nobler cause than chocolates. After much haggling we decide on what to buy. "Shopper boy" (yours truly) is dispatched with disdain to do the actual purchasing and we then get down to the task of putting the decorations up. This is where the fun starts.

Obviously one can't start hanging things randomly all over the place. So we sit around and brainstorm on possible arrangements. Now this is not as easy as you guys might think. If I want the Christmas tree in one corner of the room, it would turn out that Nish would want it in any corner but that corner. If Nish wants the "Merry Christmas" sign on the wall facing the main door and the "Happy New Year" sign on the wall parallel to the door, I want just the opposite. If I want a diamond steamer arrangement across the ceiling, Nish wants a rectangular one. If Nish wanted to twirl the streamers before putting them up, I would want them straight. I must reluctantly state here that she gets her way most of the time except when she loses her temper and lets out a piercing scream, in which case Mom comes over and settles the issue in my favor to punish her for screaming. (*rubbing hands in glee*)

Of course some ridiculous proposals are vetoed at the very start by mom and dad.. like my proposition that we put up the longest hanging we had in the middle of the room where it would hit the heads of everyone taller than 5 feet. (All I wanted was to stand under the hanging and jump up and touch it with my head *hurt look*). Or the one where I thought that the TV and the refrigerator could do with some decoration. That proposal didn’t last long either.

The actual menial job of "putting up" everything, I'm ashamed to say was done by my sister. My role was restricted to holding the stool on which she was standing. Now before you begin to ridicule me, I would like to explain the logic behind this. Both of us had not grown to our full height then and quite often the height of one stool was insufficient. So we ended up putting one stool or chair on top of another which resulted in a highly unstable setup. Before your scorn for me intensifies, let me draw your attention to two facts. 1) I weighed more than my sis. 2) I was stronger. From 1) and 2) it follows that it would be safer for both of us if the lighter person got on to the "contraption" and the stronger person held it to prevent it from toppling over. I don't know if this logic appeals to you, but thankfully it did to my sister and she dutifully climbed up whenever needed.

Setting up the crib is perhaps the most herculean task of all. Work on this starts over two weeks before Christmas when we spread mustard seeds on soaked cotton. The figures of the Holy Family, shepherds, magi and animals are placed among the greenery after the seeds have sprouted and reached a size of about three inches. After midnight mass on Christmas eve, the 'baby Jesus' doll is placed in the center and our Christmas kicks off!

One last thing.. I NEED a break.. from studies, from work and most of all from computers of any kind. So I am now taking off for a vacation.. NO Internet, NO emails, NO chatting, NO online gaming. I'm off to gallivant around the country with my sis.. Take care everybody..

I wish you a Merry Christmas;
I wish you a Merry Christmas;
I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Good tidings I bring to you and your kin;
Good tidings for Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Oh, bring me a figgy pudding;
Oh, bring me a figgy pudding;
Oh, bring me a figgy pudding and a cup of good cheer

I won't go until I get some;
I won't go until I get some;
I won't go until I get some, so bring some out here

I wish you a Merry Christmas;
I wish you a Merry Christmas;
I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

12 comments:

silverine said...

Hey me first!!!

You bought back so many memories with this post!!! The crib in my house is made by my eldest brother G. So the mustard seeds thingy is a solo operation by him. I was the X'mas tree 'decorator'. And M the official critique who lounged on the sofa and let us all know what he thought of the Xmas preparations! I just finished the tree and the other decorations and the house is looking all festive!!!

Merry X'mas!!!

Camphor said...

and me second.
:D
Merry Christmas.
Happy New Year.

Anonymous said...

hi nirmal... I may not be able to WISH YOU on 25th... So... MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND NISHA!!! Iam glad you are gonna be spending this christmas with your sis... The pratice I am presuming will continue this yr if the 2 of u get to decorate ur room for christmas.... Also, I WISH YOU AND NISH A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! May the new yr bring the 2 of you loots of good health, looots of cheer and as many ROAD TRIPS you wld like!!!! HAVE FUN!!!!!

Sugee said...

Wish u a very Happy Christmas Nirmal and to ur family too..
:)

THE DEVIL said...

merry christmas to u and nish!! Pass it on to uncle and aunty too!!

Anonymous said...

and me late.. hop you had a good christmas :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Incognito said...

Happy New Year Leon!

Leon said...

[Everyone] Thanks for all the wishes... :-)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

LovingAndLosing said...

Merry Christmas. Happy New Year. Yada yada yada. Now get your ass back to this blog and start posting! This is SO not how you're supposed to start the new year.

Rainbow said...

I agree with Ms.V
and I rhyme [:P] as well as I mime...
(which is saying "not so much")
Enough abt me, what have u been up to?

silverine said...

You have been tagged !!!