Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Playing chess?.. No spectators please..

When I play a chess game, I hate having people sitting around and watching. Because the inevitable always happens. It would be my turn to move.. and then this happens.. ALWAYS..

Spectator 1 : You are taking so long to move..
Me (thinking) : Who asked you to stand around watching me play. Don't you have anything better to do?
Spectator 2 : You could checkmate him in 6 moves..
Me (thinking) : Oh yeah.. if my opponent forfeits all the five chances he has in between.. even my baby niece could do it.
Spectator 3 (to my opponent, smiling) : I know your plan
Me (find what I overlooked after checking board and think) : Great.. Now I don't even know if I can take credit for winning. I might have missed that if not for Mr. Bigmouth.
Spectator 4 : Your end game is not very good
Me (thinking) : Thank you for telling me something I already know.

On top of all this, you have spectators who smile smugly when you make a move, like they've spotted your mistake. You have others who nod their head and say approvingly "good move, the best you could have made". Do they really expect me to believe they are qualified enough to talk about an unconditional 'best' move from among thousands? And then, there are still others who want to discuss what they, their parents and their grandparents would have done in the given situation. If you give them a chance they would even go so far as to discuss what Vishwanathan Anand would have done in the circumstances..

Bah!!

Another random question that has never ceased to puzzle me? How come most girls don't play chess? After all it is not a physically demanding game...

12 comments:

Prasanna said...

Cmon man...we hear people saying tendulkar shouldnt have played that shot, ronaldhinio should have played better or schumi made a wrong move on that turn...but no way am i putting u along with there greats, i know ur pretty ordinary ...these are just examples....does it mean ppl commenting can play the game better than them... nah... that is sport mate... so many ppl pass comments...no whining just kick their ass if possible balls too...and say one word err two words "fuck off!"

Leon said...

Hey.. u still around??.. :-)

I don't mind if people comment without me knowing. Imagine Tendulkar batting and his friend standing alongside telling him.. "You should be doing this not that"!!!. Or someone running with Ronaldo telling him how to kick the ball!!.. err balls.. lol.

In fact I'd appreciate after game analysis.. so long as people keep mum during the game and give me a chance to play my own game...

Jay said...

Interesting!

Hey thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting!

LovingAndLosing said...

I play chess!!! Hmph.

Leon said...

Seriously!!? We should play sometime.. maybe in B'lore.. ;-)

LovingAndLosing said...

Honestly now, why would I joke about something like that??? Of course we should play! I hope you like losing :p

Leon said...

I'll have you know I'm a decent chess player if not a professional.. lose indeed.. hah!

We don't even have to meet to play chess in this computerised world. I challenge you to an online game. I bet you 3 Dairy Milk bars that I'll win.. :D

Harish Suryanarayana said...

Well , there ought to be a comment here with my name on it . Considering the fact that we spent more time playing chess that talking with each other :p

Leon said...

I echo that.. thanks.. :-)

Camphor said...

Girls lay chess too! Too bad you haven't seen us play!!

But yeah, comments in your hearing can get very irritating...

Leon said...

You do? Let's see you play then.. :p

The offer I made to Vidya is still open.. Care to take me up on that?

If you have a cable connection ie..

Unknown said...

Regarding this line "How come most girls don't play chess?". I know u have played chess with me and another girl. many of your blogpals (gals) do seem to play chess too.
and what happened to the offer u made to Ms.V? Did u lose?